Skip to main content

Ready for a No BS Breast Augmentation Story?

I am 30 years old and was blessed with a half-full AA cup. I have a 10-year-old boy. My breast augmentation was my first surgery ever.


My Experience With Breast Augmentation

There are a ton of stories out there, but I feel like, throughout this entire experience, I could not read enough blogs to prepare myself for what's to come. I'd like to keep my article short and sweet and to the point for other non-bloggers such as myself.

The Consultation

It cost me $100 to meet with a surgeon to discuss options, pick out my size, and schedule my surgery.

The first thing my surgeon asked me was what I was going for, to which I embarrassingly answered, "I have no idea. . . ." It didn't occur to me that some people want natural-looking breasts while others want porn-star tits. So make sure you know the answer to this question!

My surgeon was mainly focused on ensuring I would love my size and shape down the road in addition to what looked natural and fit my lifestyle and body type.

He asked me questions about having any more children, which is something you should think about as pregnancy and breastfeeding will change the size and shape of your breast tissue and skin.

After he took a bunch of measurements and got photos taken, his nurse came in, and that's when we got to try on sizes!

My surgeon only had one type of implant, which was silicone-filled with saline. The ones I tried on were zero profile or low profile (I'm not really sure, just your standard round, flat implant)

I decided on the 325cc implant. I tried to go a size bigger, but it made me look frumpy and went outside my frame.

After making a decision, my surgeon told me about the different profiles. He decided I should use a high profile, which is a more narrow implant. It has the same amount of CCs, but when it sits in your hand, it is smaller around but taller.

LP? HP? Sub-Muscular? Sub-Glandular? Saline? Silicone? Tear drop?

Many people talk about what they themselves chose, but I kind of left everything up to my surgeon . . . or maybe he didn't really give me a choice . . . not sure. Either way, I put full trust in his expertise.

The doc only worked with a saline implant with a silicone shell. There were no shapes, sizes, or textures to choose from.

He said they would try three different sizes in the operating room and see which fit best. He wanted to aim for 305cc, but I felt a little slighted, so I made sure the lowest he would go was 325cc instead. That really isn't a huge difference, but It made me feel better.

He also chose the high profile, as I said, based on my "small" frame, and chose to go sub-muscular, which would allow for a more natural look since I have zero breast tissue on top to begin with.

Scroll to Continue

Read More From Patientslounge

Let the Countdown Begin. . . .

The last thing I did during my consultation was to schedule my surgery date. The consultation was on June 18th, and the surgery was set for August 17th!

Those two months in between were spent doing research and making sure I was as prepared as possible!

Oh, and I had a boobie shower to celebrate the upcoming birth of my "twins"!

What to Get Before Surgery

  • Easy-to-pull-up loose-fitting pants/shorts/underwear
  • Zip up shirts/sweaters
  • Extra surgical bras (high compression sports bra)
  • Pain reliever; Tylenol Extra Strength, Advil for swelling
  • Snacks (nuts, pretzels, crackers, cheese, fruit, peanut butter)
  • Protein water/drinks (Premier Protein makes water and delicious shakes that are high in protein and low in carbs and sugar)
  • Bendy Straws!
  • Ice packs
  • Vitamins
  • Pill holder (you will not be able to open your pill bottles for a few days/weeks)
  • Lots of pillows
  • A travel neck pillow
  • A shower sponge/brush on a wand (I bought one from Walmart for $5, and it made it much easier to lather in the soap as well as wash my own hair with it!!)
  • Facial wipes to wash your face
  • An electric toothbrush (Oral-B, $40 with replacement heads from Amazon. I'm so thankful I had this)
  • Dulcolax for constipation. These tiny little things will help you go once you feel backed up and bloated from the narcotics.

Tips for an Easier Recovery

  • Make your home on the couch. The couch provides support making it easier to lie elevated, to get up and out of easier, the ability to grab onto the back of the cushions to hoist yourself up in the middle of the night to pee.
  • Put three to four changes of clothes in a laundry basket to place on a footstool or end table so you do not have to pull open a dresser drawer and dig around.
  • Get a basket from Dollar Tree to put all of the daily items you'll use so you can keep it near you at all times; this will keep you clean and organized.
  • Most importantly: Have someone to help you! My mom was with me the day of surgery and the two days that followed. She was able to make dinners, help me up, get my son to school on his first day and take him to practice. And she kept me company!! My boyfriend, son, and sister were all nearby the following days. (It is day seven for me, and I still need help putting shirts on and reaching things from the cupboard)
  • As I said, I am seven days post-op, and I am still struggling with incision pain—primarily when I laugh, stand for a long time, or lay down to sleep. Today is day one of trying a tighter compression bra. I was using a loose-fitting one since the one they gave me in the OR wasn't super tight. I think having higher compression allows for less movement/pull on the incisions. So far, so good!

What to Do the Night Before Surgery

I had nothing to eat after my usual dinner time around 6.

Per my anesthesia instructions, I measured 20 oz, which was 2.5 cups of Gatorade (no orange or red). I chugged that down with dinner. I took a shower, used the surgery soap they give you, got dressed in clean clothes, and climbed into a fresh clean bed.

I awoke around 7:00 am and drank another 2.5 cups of Gatorade, making sure it was exactly 4–5 hours before surgery. The Gatorade helped keep me from experiencing any nausea.

Surgery Time!

I put my hair in two french braids . . . well actually had a friend do it for me, so it was nice and tight. I knew I wouldn't be able to lift my arms for a few days and didn't want to have to deal with laying on my hair or having it in my face.

I had to be at the surgery center two hours before my surgery time.

They eventually called me back and lead me into a big open area with beds separated by curtains all around the perimeter of the room.

The nurse had me give a urine sample, asked me a bunch of standard questions, and told me to gown up. I was given hospital socks, a gown, and a hair net.

I changed, got on the bed, and waited for the nurse to start my IV. At this point, my mom was allowed back to sit with me!!

A few different docs came in, the anesthesiologist, a surgical nurse...I think? and then my surgeon put the purple marks on me where he needed them to be.

I was given Tramadol, which is a low-scheduled pain killer, Celebrex, and nausea medications. They also gave me a nausea patch behind my ear, which gave me a crazy dry mouth by the time I was home (ended up taking this off the next day)

Before I knew it, they were putting up the rails and wheeling me away!

As they were walking me to the OR, they placed a blue mask over my mouth and told me to take a few deep breaths. I remember trying to breathe as much of it in as possible to ensure I was not going to wake up or be at all coherent for whatever came next. Three breaths and then I was OUT.



BAM! Just like that, I was back in the room I started in and heard my mom's voice. I felt like I had just woken up from a really good nap! I knew exactly where I was and kinda felt some tightness on my chest.

**If you have ever breastfed or experienced the fullness of your milk coming in after having a baby, that's definitely how it felt to me. I read one blog where a woman felt she couldn't breathe or take deep breaths. I was really worried about that but didn't experience that sensation. . . possibly because I related my implants to being super engorged postpartum.

I looked down at my white surgical bra and said, "I can't believe I fucking did it"

By the time I woke up I believe it was about 12:30. My operation only took an hour and a half. I knew I needed to be watched for an hour post-surgery which I was dreading because I knew I'd just want to go home but it felt like five minutes. Before I knew it they wheeled me to the car and my mom drove me home.

I had my set up in the living room and think I went to sleep when I got home.

I woke up from a nap and actually took a peek down my bra and was immediately disappointed. They were so small I'm supposed to be swollen and huge, and they don't look like much of anything. I was super nervous I went too small.

The rest of the day was a blur of sleeping, ice packs, and pain pills.

For the first few days, it was very sore at the outer edge of my incision. I felt really full and hard on top of my breasts, but it was mostly pressure and didn't seem to bother me much.

My surgeon told me no ice. I think it's because the nerves were numb, and he didn't want me to get burns but I said F that. I needed ice on those incisions and basically kept them cool 87% of the time avoiding my nipples at all times.

I had T- Rex arms and needed help to a sitting and standing position for the first 3-4 days.


Today I am on day seven, exactly one week post-op

I am feeling good; it gets a little easier every single day. The worst was on day four. I still hurt when I laugh or lay down to go to sleep.

I am at least able to reach higher, shower by myself, and drive... although I take turns like a 90-year-old.

Good lucky my friend, I hope I could be of some assistance!

ENJOY (.)(.)

This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.


Umesh Chandra Bhatt from Kharghar, Navi Mumbai, India on August 24, 2021:

Very informative. Thanks.

Related Articles