Skip to main content

My Broken Wrist Experience

As you can see, my ulna was crushed and my radius was dislocated.

As you can see, my ulna was crushed and my radius was dislocated.

Here's What Happened

You may have read some of my other articles about my wonderful mule, Rojo. This article isn't about him, but it began with him. I got Rojo last year and worked with him for quite a while and enjoyed riding him every Sunday until he foundered. This is a condition that affects equines when they eat excessively rich foods. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of allowing him to have a little alfalfa hay occasionally as a treat. This was far too rich for him, and it resulted in his having very sore hooves and poor hoof growth over a period of time.

My vet and my farrier said the poor hoof growth would grow out, but it would take quite a while. In the meantime, I wanted to have something to ride, and I was offered a horse by a rescue that I work with. This was a six-year-old gelding named Apache who was said to be quiet and ridable but not as well trained as my Rojo. Still, I gave him a trial ride and thought that he would be a good temporary substitute until Rojo recovered. Unfortunately, I was quite wrong.

I decided to go for a ride on the day after Christmas, and Apache decided to freak out. To my credit, I was able to stay with him until I realized that he was about to flip over backwards. Although I tried to roll myself into a ball and launch myself out of the saddle to avoid having him fall on me, apparently, I put my right hand out as I landed, and as you can see, I did a great deal of damage to it. I also scraped up the insides of my knees and my thighs pretty badly as I left the saddle and ended up with a huge hematoma on my left knee, but that resolved itself.

I Wish I Had Gone Straight to My General Practitioner

During the first 24 hours, I really hoped that my wrist was just sprained. I practiced rest, ice compression, and elevation, and I really didn't have much pain. Still, I couldn't use my hand at all, and my wrist was decidedly crooked looking.

My accident happened about mid-afternoon on the 26th, and by the same time the next day, I decided I'd better go to the hospital. I called my farrier, who is a good friend, to help me, and he gave me a ride to the emergency room. This was a mistake because, by then, it wasn't really an emergency anymore.

If I had it to do all over again, I would make a same-day appointment to see my general practitioner and get a diagnosis and a referral.

I spent hours and hours in the emergency room. The initial waiting time was short, but the treatment took forever. All the staff and personnel were very nice and very accommodating, so it was pretty much a pleasant experience. Still, I think it would've been shorter with my GP; it would've been handled more efficiently, and it would've cost me a great deal less. I also would have received proper treatment much sooner.

I got multiple x-rays in the emergency room and was put under general anesthesia to have a splint applied. Although they told me that they were putting me under general anesthesia in order to perform reduction and attempt to realign my bones, there is absolutely no difference between the before and after x-rays. This really makes me wonder why they needed to put me under general anesthesia.

The ER doctor said that I would probably need surgery, so I left with a referral to an orthopedic surgeon.

This is the kind of temporary splint I ended up wearing for 2+ weeks! Mine almost completely covered my fingers. It was extremely heavy, restrictive and uncomfortable.

This is the kind of temporary splint I ended up wearing for 2+ weeks! Mine almost completely covered my fingers. It was extremely heavy, restrictive and uncomfortable.

Don't Get Hurt If You're Poor in Texas

Because Texas is a red state, Medicaid is not expanded. As a starving writer, I live very far below the poverty level. You may not know this, but in red states that have not expanded Medicaid, people who live very far below the poverty level get no coverage whatsoever. Since I pay a large percentage of my below-poverty self-employment income towards federal taxes and get absolutely nothing in return, I feel this is very unfair.

This state of affairs turned out to be a problem when I called the orthopedic surgeon to whom I had been referred. His staff made it clear that I would be required to pay a sizable down payment and agree to a payment plan. I told them that I could make payments, but I did not have money to make a sizable down payment. They were unwilling to negotiate, and even though I called back several times, I was never able to talk with the doctor or get an appointment.

I called the emergency room to see if I could get another referral, but they told me they were only able to make the initial referral while I was in the emergency room. By this time, two days had passed, and I really didn't know what to do. I was in a very uncomfortable sugar tong splint which was intended to be temporary. It immobilized all of my fingers and my elbow and caused a great deal of swelling in my hand.

Over the next few days, I talked with a number of people at the hospital where I was treated and got various suggestions that led me to call Parkland Hospital and a local free clinic but got me nowhere in terms of treatment.

Finally, I decided to try calling my general practitioner, whom I had not seen in about ten years. This was on a Friday, so I made an appointment to see him on the following Monday. I hoped that he would be able to give me a referral to an orthopedic surgeon who would be willing to simply accept payments.

Scroll to Continue

Read More From Patientslounge

I Got By With a Little Help From My Friends!

Since I type for a living, I was unable to work after breaking my wrist. I knew I would have a lot of expenses in addition to my regular household bills, so I started a GoFundMe campaign. I was really pleased and overwhelmed by the tremendous kindness and assistance that I received from my fellow writers and the owner of the main content site for which I work. Not only did he make a generous contribution, but he also offered to match donations made by other writers!

I was able to pay my bills, purchase Dragon NaturallySpeaking, and start paying for my medical expenses. Although I was able to work pretty well with Dragon, I was not as productive as I had been. The thought processes for typing and talking are different, and I really can't talk as fast as I can type.

Seeing an Orthopedic Surgeon

On Monday, my uncle took me to my general practitioner's office. Everything went smoothly there, and my doctor was kind enough to hide in the hallway so that I wouldn't have to pay him for actually seeing him! I saw an intern (I think) who was very nice and relayed information back and forth between the doctor and me. I left with a referral to an orthopedic surgeon in a nearby city.

When I got home, I made an appointment with the new orthopedic surgeon. Unfortunately, he had a very busy schedule and was not able to see me until Friday. If you're keeping track, you know that this means that over a week had passed since I broke my wrist, and another week would pass before I would see an orthopedic surgeon.

On Friday, my wonderful and helpful uncle took me to see the new orthopedic surgeon some 25 miles away; however, the surgeon was not there, so I saw an assistant who was quite disgruntled with me over the passage of time. He told me that if I had come in the day after the accident, they could've reset my bones and put on a cast without a problem.

He said that now if he attempted that, it would not work, I would have pain for the rest of my life, and I would develop arthritis. He said that the alternative was surgery which would probably also not work but that he still recommended it. When I asked him how much it would cost, he said that he couldn't tell me but that it would cost "thousands and thousands of dollars."

I had done quite a bit of research on this kind of wrist fracture during the two weeks I had been casting about for a solution and had learned a number of alternative methods of treating it, but the assistant was not open to discussing alternatives. He pushed for surgery, and I felt pressured into feeling that it was my only option, even though it would probably mean losing my home and going deeply into debt.

To add insult to injury, the assistant insisted on putting another sugar tong splint on my arm; even though the one that I had just worn for two weeks had caused me a great deal of pain and discomfort. I was extremely distraught at the prospect of getting another one.

Then to make matters even worse, as we were leaving, he came up to us and said that the orthopedic surgeon had just called (apparently having seen my most recent x-rays) and was of the opinion that surgery "won't work, so see you Monday!"

Treatment That My Doctor and I Agreed On

It seemed that the trip to the orthopedic surgeon had been a waste of time and money. I had expected to see the orthopedic surgeon and leave with treatment in the form of a smaller and lighter cast. I ended up with plans for exorbitantly priced treatment that wouldn't work and another temporary splint. I decided to send an email directly to the orthopedic surgeon describing some of the alternatives that I had learned about in the two weeks while I was casting about seeking treatment.

Later that evening, the orthopedic surgeon called me, and we settled on a treatment compromise. Instead of surgery, I would return to his office for a combination of traction and manipulation of the bones without anesthesia, followed by the application of a short arm cast that would stay on for two weeks. After that, a removable Aircast (which I could purchase myself for $150) would be used for the rest of the treatment.

This would've worked well if I had been able to be seen soon after the accident. As matters stand, the end results are imperfect but functional. The treatment went smoothly, and the traction actually felt very good. I used a breathing technique and listened to music, and felt no pain during the bone manipulation. The orthopedic surgeon's assistant performed this and did a good job. We had a chance to discuss my disappointment regarding my first visit, and all is now well!

The short arm cast was a delight in comparison with the sugar tong splint, but it was still an instrument of torture. After it was removed, my hand, which had been immobilized for a month, was stiff and sore, and I could barely move my fingers. I had been researching hand and wrist therapy and had a number of YouTube videos ready to get started with as soon as I got home. That night I took a long hot bath, did some aqua therapy, and the next day my hand felt much better.

Wrist Brace For Daytime

Night Splint

The Aircast and Other Support and Braces

I actually only wore the Aircast for about a week. Even though it was much, much better than the sugar tong splint or the short arm cast, it was still too restrictive and cut off circulation to my thumb. I wanted something that would not restrict the use of my thumb and fingers.

I really liked my new brace much better than the Aircast, but I think that the Aircast was necessary for the first week. Afterward, I used the wrist brace during the day when I was doing physical work, such as taking care of my yard and my animals. The rest of the time, I just went without. This really helped keep the swelling down. Now, many years later, I still wear the wrist brace when doing heavy work.

I also continue to use the night splint every night. It is very comfortable and doesn't cut off my circulation at all. It protects my wrist against bending while I sleep.

DIY Physical Therapy

I have spent (and continue to spend) a great deal of time in DIY physical therapy every day. Initially, I did two or three videos of hand and wrist exercises every morning and every evening and a few minutes at a time multiple times throughout the day. I used ice therapy in the early evenings when my hand was swollen. I used LED light therapy a couple of times a day as well.

I also practiced my American Sign Language fingerspelling alphabet and numbers 1-100 several times a day, albeit quite imperfectly, but I was pleased with the progress I was making.

This is the Aircast I got.

This is the Aircast I got.

DIY Physical Therapy for the Wrist

Here are the videos I did every day. I also picked out one or two videos at random daily to add new exercises.

What They Don't Tell You About Having a Broken Wrist

Having a broken wrist was a surprisingly befuddling experience. You'd think that I would have been able to just sit there with my broken wrist and get back to work with Dragon, organize my daily affairs, and keep an excellent record of my progress; however, this is not true.

Being unable to take care of activities of daily living as I normally would was quite exhausting. Additionally, I think that mending a broken bone consumes a lot of energy. I felt tired quite a bit and also very hungry. I was eating more than usual, but people told me that I was losing weight!

This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.


justmesuzanne (author) from Texas on June 17, 2015:

Thanks! It is pretty much as healed as it's gonna be now. It is alarmingly crooked, somewhat painful but functional. I could've done better on my own than going to the ER and orthopedic surgeon.

Marlene Bertrand from USA on June 17, 2015:

Wow! What an ordeal! Of course we always hope for a quick recovery, but in spite of the time it is taking to heal, you are truly going about this the right way. I pray for a full recovery for your wrist.

justmesuzanne (author) from Texas on March 15, 2015:

Thank you, Peggy! I appreciate it. Yes, the orthopedic surgeon's assistant seemed not to have great hope for me, but I surprised him on my final visit! :D

Peggy Woods from Houston, Texas on March 15, 2015:

I wondered how you broke your wrist and now know the answer. It sounds as though you are taking the bull by the horns and doing all you can to heal yourself. Kudos to you! My brother after a vehicular accident with a truck was told he would never walk again but he did not listen to the doctors...did lots of exercise and did indeed walk again. Best wishes with your healing and I will share this with others.

justmesuzanne (author) from Texas on February 24, 2015:

Thanks! :)

Brad on February 24, 2015:


You seem like the kind of person, that if there is a way to make your wrist better, you have the will.

justmesuzanne (author) from Texas on February 23, 2015:

Many thanks, Shyron! :D

justmesuzanne (author) from Texas on February 23, 2015:

Thanks! Mine didn't really hurt when it happened. When I sat up, I thought I was OK. Then I lifted my arm and saw my bent wrist. Unfortunately, my wrist will always be crooked. I hope I will regain enough strength to be able to lift bags of feed and bales of hay and hammer nails. I also have some furniture I need to move, and the thought of never being able to do it is very upsetting! :/

Brad on February 23, 2015:

Wow, that is quite an adventure, and a very detailed well put together story, and with pictures.

I also broke my wrist some years ago, and it was not as complicated as yours. I knew when I hit the ground that something really bad happened.

It was an all day affair at the hospital, but no complications like yours.

I lucked out, it would have been better had it not happened, mine injury happened on the job and it was covered by Workmen's Comp.

My wrist is fine today and it was like it never happened. I hope that you have the same kind of recovery.

Shyron E Shenko from Texas on February 23, 2015:

Oh Suzanne, I feel what you are going through, but with me it was the ball of the femur that was shattered. Fortunately I had insurance. But was in the hospital for two weeks and then in 2012 I had a hip replacement.

I will be sharing this with my followers.

Saying prayers and sending blessings and Hugs.


justmesuzanne (author) from Texas on February 15, 2015:

Excellent comment! Thank you very much, and thank you for contributing to my GoFundMe campaign and for sharing! I have been overwhelmed by the kindness of family, friends and strangers but I do still need about $1000, so your assistance and sharing are very, very much appreciated! :)

Cynthia Zirkwitz from Vancouver Island, Canada on February 15, 2015:


You have described a very frustrating and painful situation. You have also walked fellow-sufferers through a useful set of suggestions for dealing with a corrupt and chaotic medical system and resolving a wrist fracture in a self-determining mode vs. putting up with ongoing exploitation based on vulnerability. Good for you! I'm adding a little to your GoFundIt and will pass this along for others to read. All the best, Cynthia

justmesuzanne (author) from Texas on February 11, 2015:

Thank you! Please share! :)

Devika Primić from Dubrovnik, Croatia on February 11, 2015:

I hope you heal faster. You have shared your experience greatly. A well-advised and interesting hub.

justmesuzanne (author) from Texas on February 10, 2015:

Thank you very much! I just wish I had had the advice about not going to the emergency room to begin with!

Ease Feeds from Cyperspace on February 10, 2015:

This is an incredibly moving story, and it is packed with really great advice. Good luck on your healing process, and you surely have great advice for others.

Related Articles