Skip to main content

Where Can I Find Respite Care for My Disabled Child?

My grandson is blind and non-verbal, so I wanted to share my knowledge about respite care with others.


Ask Family and Friends to Help

This may not be an option for everyone, but the first place you should turn to for help is family and friends.

You know all the friends and family members that say, "If you ever need any help, let me know." Now is the time to call on them.

My grandson is blind and non-verbal, but he loves to go to my sister-in-law's house occasionally when my daughter has appointments. She lives in the same town, so my daughter is nearby if there's a problem. It allows my daughter to run errands and enjoy a cup of coffee in peace.

Finding someone you trust to take care of your special needs child is difficult, but a friend or family member may be able to help out for a few hours or even a day.

Don't be afraid to ask your spouse to step in for a few hours so you can take a breather and do something fun. Being a special needs mom is a 24/7 job with no breaks, and you will burn out quickly if you don't find a way to get some downtime.

Ask Professionals For Recommendations

There are many professionals in your life that you might not have thought about asking, but they may know someone looking for side work.

Doctors, special education teachers and aides, speech therapists, and occupational therapists may know people who work in the field of disabilities who would love to spend time with your child. They are often trained in specialized fields and may be able to relate to your child more than a regular sitter.

Contact a Local College

Check with your local college and see if anyone is interested in sitting with your disabled child. If they are studying child development, special ed, or therapy, they would love to have the experience that they could put on a resume.

Scroll to Continue

Read More From Patientslounge

Students often have flexible schedules that would allow you to run errands, or meet a friend for lunch.

Camps for Kids With Disabilities

Have you ever thought about sending your child to a special needs camp? It seems scary, but kids love them! It's a bit scary at first, but kids love the activities and making new friends.

There are day camps and overnight camps. Some camps also have camps for siblings which is a great experience for brothers and sisters. The parents get time alone to rest, relax, and recharge.

Full-Time Care

If your child has severe disabilities, you may need help with part-time or full-time care. Look for an agency in your area that hires qualified professionals for the type of care your child needs.

Referrals from friends are also a good way of finding someone for a long term position.

You Deserve A Break

No matter what type of help you choose, know that you deserve a break. No one can take care of your child the way you do, but you need a rest.

If you continue to work ALL day EVERY day, you will burn out. You will be mentally and physically exhausted, and unable to care for anyone.


S Is For Special Needs has more information about why self-care is so important and how to pay for Respite Care.

This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.

© 2020 psiloveyou1

Related Articles